top of page

Tiverton Town 3-1 Farnborough

Updated: Oct 18, 2020

Mention it quietly but there is definitely a feeling around the Ian Moorcroft Stadium that this season has the potential to go somewhere. Of course, this early in, it would be foolish to get overly carried away with the start the Yellows have made but impressive performances are exactly that and the fifth win from the first six matches was all but done and dusted by the interval as goals from Louis Morison, Alex Fletcher and Chris Shephard had done enough damage, to ensure the Yellows got back to winning ways after last weeks` one-nil defeat at Dorchester, long before Farnborough grabbed a second half stoppage time consolation through Courtney Fearn.

The Yellows stuck to the same starting XI that had come unstuck at the Avenue Stadium seven days earlier although they were forced into an early change as hamstring-stricken Andy Watkins lasted not much more than half an hour, while the visitors welcomed back Michael Elias-Fernandes, who had joined on loan from Colchester United until January, into their ranks. It would become quickly apparent though that there would be no repeat of the banana-skin, top versus bottom sort of slip up as there had been last time out as the Yellows quickly settled and started playing the sort of football that has become the Yellows trademark of late and deservedly took the lead after just twelve minutes.

Jordan Bastin swung a corner in from the right and as Farnborough defenders decided to leave it to each other to clear the lines, Louis Morison took full advantage of the generosity and poked home his second for the club with the help of the underside of the crossbar. Provider for the first almost turned scorer for the second but Bastin was denied by a smart save from Liam Beach in the Farnborough goal and the rebound bounced agonisingly away from Watkins just two minutes before the Yellows did double their lead on seventeen minutes as Alex Fletcher headed home a Kyle Egan delivery for his sixth league goal of the campaign in six matches.

Meanwhile at the other end, Lewis Williams, it would be fair to say, had not been overly troubled thus far but two impressive saves to deny Elias-Fernandes, the second with the help of the crossbar meant that the visitors, despite their early season struggles, were more than there just to make up the numbers but fell further behind four minutes before the interval as Chris Shephard tapped home his first in the league from a deflected Alex Fletcher cross and only a super save from Beach in first half stoppage time kept out a Jared Lewington header, who had come on in place of the hamstring-stricken Andy Watkins.

Whether the Yellows took their foot off the gas in the second half, who knows, but their second half showing didn’t quite live up to the first, that said though Beach produced a couple of great saves to keep out Alex Fletcher, but Farnborough definitely upped their game and passed up a couple of decent opportunities to make inroads into the Yellows lead, substitute Louie Paget drew another great save from Williams and Lewington cleared a Brad Pearce header off his own goal line and by the time they did finally register, as `Boro captain Courtney Fearn rammed home from close range in the first minute of stoppage time, the match and the result was done. Tiverton Town: Lewis Williams, Kyle Egan, Craig Woodman, Louis Morison, Michael Peck, Neil Martin (Jordan Lam 65), Andy Watkins (Jared Lewington 36), DAN HAYFIELD, Jordan Bastin, Alex Fletcher, Chris Shephard (Cheick Diabate 75). Goals: Louis Morison 12, Alex Fletcher 17, Chris Shephard 41. Attendance: 267.

230 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


our partners

bottom of page