top of page

Tiverton Town v Salisbury Report

Salisbury achieved what they set out to do and exacted revenge on the Yellows in a defeat that was difficult to stomach, conceding a devastating own goal in the final minute.

Plymouth Argyle loanee Finley Craske, brother of former Yellow Billy, came straight into the starting line-up as Gary Warren and Jordan Lam recovered from knocks to be able to start. Marvin Brooks started in place of Dan Fitchett in Salisbury’s only change from their weekend victory at Kings Langley and it was them who started on the front foot. Antonio Diaz was causing problems down the left virtually every time he had possession. He was involved in the 4thminute move that saw Sam Ashton’s shot deflected onto Lewis Williams bar. Ashtons shot was then blocked following yet more Diaz trickery. In the 11th minute Diaz had a diving header just over then saw his shot well saved by Williams. On 19 minutes Diaz again just cleared the bar with a header as the Whites dominated proceedings. In the 25th minute Craske produced a great cross that was blocked then totally against the run of play Lams shot was cleared off the line by a retreating Charlie Davis. On 34 minutes Salisbury should have taken the lead, a Davis free kick found the head of Ashton who should of scored but put it wide. Three minutes before the break came the Whites deserved goal, Joe Belsten and Lam were in the process of swopping sides which left Manny Odubade in acres of space and the ex-Yeovil and Weymouth man finished with aplomb shooting across Williams.

The second half began with Aaron Dawson switching to right back and Tivvy began to show a bit more urgency, Hayfields free kick almost catching out Beauchamp in the visitors goal. Two minutes later they equalised as Warrens header from a corner found the net despite the keeper getting both hands to it. Kyle Egan replaced the struggling Andy Watkins. Austen Booth then should have put Tivvy ahead, a free header from a Hayfield free kick going agonisingly wide. Lewis Williams dreadful 77th minute clearance fell straight to Davis but he shot tamely wide. Olaf Koszela then caused mayhem down the right beating three men but his pull back eluded the onrushing forwards. Salisbury substitute Benga started causing problems with his powerful running as both sides chased a winner. With two minutes to go Hayfield unleashed a screamer from 25 yards that cleared the crossbar. With the referee looking at his watch a dangerous low cross into the box gave Belsten all sorts of problems under pressure from Ashton and in trying to clear the ball it bounced off his thigh and beyond the desperate reach of Williams in the Tivvy goal.

A horrible way to end the evening in front of a seasons best crowd. In truth Tivvy didn't deserve to win but then they didn't really deserve to lose either. An improved second-half display promised much but in the end its just one win from seven league games

Attendance: 326

107 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page