top of page

Tiverton Town v Swindon Supermarine Report

Tiverton have lost just once in the last twelve meetings of today’s opponents; Swindon Supermarine who before today, have started the season brightly, winning their last three league fixtures. Before kick off, our player of the month was presented to much deserved; Joe Belsten who has been immensely impressive since joining pre-season.

The first 20 minutes, few chances were created as what seemed two very well matched sides came together. Andy Watkins coming close, hooking a volley goalwards only just zipping over Horsell’s crossbar. Moments later Kotwica bent an effort that was arrowing into the top corner, Williams with a fine save to tip it over.

The game opened up into an ‘end to end’ affair but both defences remaining resolute. On half an hour a wayward shot caught a ‘Marine fan in which we send our best wishes and a speedy recovery. Despite both sides pressing to break the deadlock, the referee brought the half to an end at 0-0. Eight minutes into the second half, a delayed free kick eventually delivered by Dan Hayfield found Gary Warren, heading straight at Horsell who could only parry it into the path of Koszela who smashed home the opener and his 7th of the season. The Yellows clearly still in ‘celebration mode’ from the visitors kick off, Harry Williams promptly went up the other end to equalise, all of 30 seconds after Tiverton going into the lead!

Seven minutes later, the Yellows were inches away from retaking the lead. Hayfield again with the delivery, this time finding Watkins who fired just wide. With 15 minutes to go, a warm applause around the ground welcomed back Kyle Walker (Egan) following a preseason injury who calmly slotted back into left back. The Yellows soaked up pressure with the clock ticking down, two successive corners from the visitors that Tiverton worked hard to defend. It was then the hosts turn for successive corners with three minutes to go, neither that overly troubled the defence or Horsell.

Aaron Dawson was today’s Man of the Match who was undoubtedly a worthy candidate, working hard all afternoon and continues to impress each match day but a player of note also today in my view was Matt Wright. His control and hold up play was instrumental in most attacks for the Yellows this afternoon. When the referee brought the game to an end, a draw was probably a fair result in an exciting end to end game that both teams had plenty of chances.

Tiverton will next face Salisbury on Wednesday evening at the Ian Moorcroft Stadium, who I’m sure will be keen to have revenge from last weekends defeat in the FA Cup.

Tiverton Town: Lewis Williams, Alfie Pond (Kyle Egan 75), Joe Belsten, AARON DAWSON, Gary Warren, Austen Booth, Louis Morison (Theo Simpson 75), Dan Hayfield, Matt Wright, Olaf Koszela, Andy Watkins (Jordan Lam 66).

Goal: Olaf Koszela 54

Attendance: 307

276 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page