top of page

Yate Town vs Tiverton Town | Match Report | 05/03/22

Tiverton got the game underway looking for three points that would ease them away from the drop zone and after an even start, it wasTivvy who looked the brighter of the two sides. On seven minutes a foul on Andy Watkins gave Tiverton a free-kick which Louis Morison took short to Craig Woodman who played it back to Morison who launched it into the box where it found the head of Gary Warren but the referee felt that the Tivvy defender had fouled in his Challenge for the ball and awarded Yate a free-kick. Three minutes later and another good Tivvy move saw Chris Shephard go close but his shot was well saved by Hannah in the Yate goal.

A great ball from Watkins found Theo Simpson who turned well but his shot went high and wide of the goal. With seventeen minutes gone Craig Woodman was booked for a foul. Three minutes later a brilliant Tivvy move started by Kyle Egan who found Simpson who put the ball into the box where it found Dan Hayfield his first shot was blocked but when the ball fell to him a second time he smashed it into the back of the net to put Tiverton 1-0 up. Joe Belsten was given a yellow card for a foul on the edge of the Tivvy box as Yate went looking for an equaliser. The free-kick was cleared by the Tivvy defence and found Hayfield who played the ball to Shephard who let fly but his shot was well saved.

Yate broke away quickly and Craig Woodman put in a Challenge that the referee felt was worth showing him his second yellow card of the game which meant Tivvy were down to ten players for the rest of the match. Next, it was Theo Simpson who found his name going into the ref's book for diving. With just five minutes left of the first half Yate number ten James Harding turned quickly in the box and smashed the ball into the roof of the Tivvy net to make the halftime score 1-1.

Yate got the second half underway and must have fancied their chances against the ten men of Tiverton but it was Tiverton who were seeing more of the ball and looking the stronger of the two teams. Chris Shephard went down injured and had to be replaced by Jacob Evans who was making his Tivvy debut. Louis Morison joined the growing list in the ref's book which got even longer when Tivvy boss Martyn Rogers was also booked for pointing out to the ref that he had missed an off-ball push on Joe Belsten. Yate shuffled their pack making three changes as they looked to find the winning goal. But on eighty minutes it was a great Tivvy move down the line and when the ball went into the box Andy Watkins was there to flick the ball past Hannah in the Yate goal to put Tiverton 2-1 up. Watkins was then replaced by Aaron Dawson. Tivvy keeper Lewis Williams was then shown a yellow card for time-wasting. With time nearly up Tiverton made their final change when Heon Jin replaced Theo Simpson. Both teams had a couple of late chances but Tiverton held out for a deserved win after playing for so long with ten players.

Final score Yate Town 1 Tiverton Town 2

161 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page