top of page

Tiverton Town vs Hendon | Match Report | 29/01/22

Both teams started the game brightly on a very heavy pitch with the first real chance falling to Hendon number nine Joe White who was put through by teammate Liam Brooks but Tivvy keeper Lewis Williams was out quickly to smother the ball before White could get his shot away.

Another early effort for Hendon fell to their number seven Jayden Clarke but he shot straight into the arms of Williams in the Tivvy goal. On fourteen minutes a Tivvy corner taken by Nelson Iseguan was met at the far post by Gary Warren who headed the ball back across the six yard box and it was cleared by the Hendon defence.

On twenty-three minutes Hendon number ten Brooks fouled Tivvys Joe Belsten and followed it up with what looked like a stamp on the Tivvy player but the referee felt it was only worthy of a yellow card. Two minutes later and a great Tivvy move involving Iseguan, Simpson and Belsten led to a Belsten cross finding Andy Watkins who saw his acrobatic shot go just wide of the top corner of the goal. With halftime approaching a great Jordan Lam pass found Iseguan who played in Theo Simpson but his shot was blocked. This was followed by an Andy Watkins header which flew just wide of the goal so the half ended 0-0

Tivvy got the second half underway but it was the visitors who nearly got the early breakthrough when Brooks forced Tivvy keeper Williams into a great save which went out for a Hendon corner. The resulting corner was punched away by Williams but the ball was pumped back into the Tivvy box and was adjudged to hit a Tivvy hand and the ref pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped the Hendon striker and his well-taken spot-kick was brilliantly saved by Williams in the Tiverton goal. Just a minute after the penalty save Williams was called into action again and he saved bravely at the feet of Hendon striker Joe White and the ball broke loose and the resulting shot was cleared off the line by Gary Warren. The game was halted as Tivvy keeper Lewis Williams received treatment for a knock. But thankfully for Tiverton, he was able to carry on.

Tiverton seemed to grow in confidence after the penalty save and had a couple of chances when Dan Hayfield and Jordan Lam both went close with shots.

Another good move saw Watkins and Simpson play a quick one-two which set up Simpson and his shot seemed to be heading for the top corner before it was deflected out for a corner. The corner found Gary Warren but he headed just wide. This was a good period of Tivvy pressure. With time running out Hendon made a change with Nuur coming on and Corcoran going off. Tiverton continued to press the Hendon goal and Hayfield and Simpson went close but could not find the back of the visitors net. Tiverton made a change with Matt Wright replacing Andy Watkins as Tivvy went looking for the winner. Hendon also made another change Greenway replacing Semakula.

The ref indicated there would be four minutes of added-on-time. And with only one of those minutes remaining Iseguan was felled in the box by Moore and Tiverton were awarded a penalty. Moore was shown a red card for his last man tackle. Up stepped Louis Morison who was under extreme pressure with the whole of the crowd holding their breath. He cooly fired the ball past Burbidge in the Hendon goal to give Tivvy a deserved 1-0 lead. This was virtually the last kick of the match. When the final whistle was blown the Tivvy crowd and the bench went wild as Tivvy finally got back to winning ways. A great all-round performance on a very heavy pitch.

Final score Tiverton Town 1 Hendon 0

198 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


our partners

bottom of page